Are you a vegetarian or vegan? Then lentils should always be part of your diet.
Especially for women, that tend to have low iron levels … lentils are a big source of iron, not to mention they are also high in protein and fibre.
This Greek Recipe – Greek Lentil Soup – “Faki Soupa” is one of my favourites, it literally means Lentil Soup and it’s super easy to make. So let’s get to work!
Greek Faki Soupa Recipe
- 800g tinned lentils (washed thoroughly)
- 2 litres of water
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of pureed fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil (cold pressed)
- 2 small onions finely chopped
- 5 whole cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Wash the lentils well.
- Saute the onions in the oil in a large cooking pot.
- Add the water and all the ingredients (carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, vinegar) except the lentils.
- Bring to the boil for 10 minutes
- Add the lentils, cover and simmer for about 30-40 mins until the liquid has reduced to the desired consistency.
- If you need to add more water do so.
- When ready, remove the whole garlic cloves and bay leaves.
- Serve hot and enjoy with fresh bread.
Tip: If you make extra, freeze for another night
You can also read: Artichoke Hearts and Peas…full of goodness