Fish oils (from wild deep sea fish) have absolutely amazing healing properties. There’s been so much media attention on fish oils and for good reason.
The medical community is just waking up to what Naturopaths have been prescribing for decades. The science is undeniable and inescapable. Fish oils and Omega 3 essential fatty acids within the fish – heal.
Who Needs Essential Fatty Acids?
- People with joint pain or back pain
- Those who are forgetful and have trouble thinking clearly eg students or stroke victims
- Anyone with any kind of skin condition eg skin rashes, acne, eczema, psoriasis, hives etc
- Women suffering PMS, menopause, fibroids, endometriosis, infertility, ovarian cysts
- Those with a family history of cardiovascular disease
- Pregnant women
- Men and women with hair loss
- Those with poor eyesight
- People with high blood pressure and high cholesterol
- Stressed out, highly anxious or even depressed individuals
What’s All The Fuss About?
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) are ESSENTIAL to the body and to good health. This is because the body does not make them and therefore must receive them from outside sources via the diet or by supplementing.
There are 3 types: Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9. It’s the Omega 3 that is most deficient in western diets and it is the most important good fat.
Western society diets are notoriously high in Omega 6 which in high amounts can be PRO inflammation. Not what we want, because it just leads to disease.
The Omega 3 Fatty Acids protect the cells membranes. That means that a strong cell membrane is more efficient and allows good nutrient absorption and bad waste elimination. The cells stay flexible because of the Omega 3 EFA’s and have a major anti-inflammatory effect on the whole body (including the skin!)
Often many symptoms you may be experiencing will disappear all at once.
Where Can I Find Omega 3 in my Diet?
- Fresh fish eg salmon, tuna or cod (Australian, New Zealand or Canadian are best)
- Nuts and seeds
- Flaxseed oil or olive oil
- Fish oil or flaxseed oil supplements (try Metagenics practitioner brand)
NB: Fish oils are the highest in Omega 3 because they have an active ingredient called EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (Docosohexaenoic acid).
Tip : Remember keep your oils fresh in the refrigerator, (including oil supplements).
What Should I Look for in Fish Oil Supplements?
If you don’t buy the good stuff, forget it, don’t waste your money, because they won’t do anything. Spend more on fish oils and you’ll see the “amazing” results.
- PURITY. That means free from contaminants like heavy metals.
- Saltwater fish freshly caught (wild)
- Distillation at low temperatures to extract the desired oil and leave behind pollutants
- Addition of antioxidants – this prevents the oil going rancid
Ask your Naturopath about the right dose for YOU and you’ll be well on your way to a pain and inflammation free, healthy body and mind.
Bye for now and Happy Fishing!