Protect Yourself and your Family from Colds and Flu this Winter
Winter is coming! … and if you listen to all the propaganda on TV …. so are all the exotic viruses, (flying in) just in time for vaccinating season!… but we know better don’t we!
Here’s what you can do naturally to protect yourself and your family. Arm yourself and your family with the tools to build strong immune defences to reduce your risk of getting sick. If you do get sick, a strong immune system will also reduce the severity of your cold and flu symptoms, and help to speed your recovery.
Natural Medicines to Prevent and Treat Cold and Flu Symptoms
There are many Natural Medicines that are beneficial in preventing, treating and shortening the duration of colds and flus. These agents can boost your immune system as well as provide the necessary tools to help you fight infection.
Natural Cold and Flu remedies. Look out for these Immune Boosters:
- Zinc: Optimal levels of zinc in the body have been found to inhibit the common cold and influenza viruses.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C supports healthy immune function by enhancing the activity of your immune defence army of white blood cells; also reducing severity and duration of symptoms.
- Probiotics: These friendly bacteria live in your digestive system and enhance health, and even immunity. Probiotic strains, Lactobacillus acidophilus (NCFM), Bifidobacterium lactis (HN019) and Lactobacillus rhamnosus (HN001), have been scientifically proven to enhance immune responses. By providing healthy gut immunity, you are providing the best defence against inhaled and ingested pathogens.
- Andrographis: This powerful herb stimulates the body’s natural immune response, and significantly reduces the duration of colds. You or your loved ones can take this herb as a preventative to keep your immunity strong; it can also be used acutely as soon as you get cold symptoms.
Lifestyle and Dietary Recommendations
Incorporate these handy tips into your life to improve your resistance and support recovery from colds and flus:
- Rest! Give your body a chance to gather strength and make sure you get a good night’s sleep.
- Eat warm, nourishing foods. Homemade Minestrone see recipe here can help break down mucus that often comes with colds and flus. If you don’t have an appetite, the broth alone will provide minerals and vitamins to give you strength.
- Eat foods such as garlic, ginger, onion, and chilli to help fight off illness, warm you up and reduce inflammation.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself well hydrated.
With these simple tips you should be prepared to fight back during this cold and flu season – and remember, prevention is better than cure!