The miraculous detoxifying power of this Vegan and Gluten Free recipe
In Ayurveda, a recipe called “Kitchari” is often eaten to aid digestion plus it has detoxifying qualities by improving circulation. This is just a great little Vegan and gluten free recipe for winter nights or when you are not feeling well to ease digestion.
Ingredients (Serves 4 to 6)
- 3/4 cup split yellow mung beans
- 2/3 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or ghee
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons ground Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 4 cups of water
- 1 dessertspoon of tamari sauce or Himalayan sea salt to taste
Method (30 minutes)
- Wash the mung beans and rice together under running water until the water runs clear.
- In a large heavy pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat, adding the mustard and fenugreek seeds and cook until the mustard seeds pop.
- Add the Asafoetida, ginger, turmeric and cumin and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the beans and rice and stir until they are completely coated with the spices.
- Now pour in the water and pop in the bay leaves, bringing the mixture to the boil for a few minutes.
- Lower the temperature, cover with a lid and simmer, stirring constantly until the beans and rice are soft but not mushy… this should only take about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with freshly chopped coriander and salt or organic tamari sauce.Also read: Vegan Gluten free Minestrone Soup