There’s nothing like a filling, thick Gluten free Minestrone soup when you’re not feeling well, or just on a cold winter’s night. It’s easy to freeze and easy to eat.
I don’t like to add pasta to mine. I don’t feel it’s necessary, and we eat far too many grains as it is.
This easy gluten free minestrone soup recipe puts no strain on your digestive track and provides loads of nutrients that are easy to absorb. It is gluten free and vegan…the way I like it. Wash all the vegetables well, especially the beans!
So make a big batch and freeze, ready to pull out of the freezer when you’re working late and don’t have time to cook!
Vegan Gluten free Minestrone soup recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or chopped finely
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 4 carrots chopped thinly
- 2 potatoes chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup green beans trimmed and cut in half
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of organic tomato puree
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 cups kale, bok choy or spinach roughly chopped
- 1 can of white butter beans
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Toss in the potatoes, and add more oil in this step if needed. Let cook until the potato starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add green beans, salt, black pepper, bay leaves and Italian seasoning … Mix well.
- Pour in vegetable broth and mix, making sure to scrape up all of the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add fresh thyme, 1 can of diced tomatoes, tomato puree and all the beans. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 50 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender. (Watch or set timer and stir).
- Turn off heat and add kale, spinach or bok choy. Mix well until greens have wilted.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed
- Serve with hot gluten free garlic or herb bread.