What are the main causes of Skin Allergies in Dogs?
Main Causes are:
1) The wrong diet
3) Chemical shampoos, detergents
4) Chemical fertilizers and pesticide sprays
5) Household sprays eg insect spray
6) A weak immune system (usually due to poor diet)
What is Natural For a Dog to Eat?
- Raw meaty bones (NEVER COOKED)
- Raw chicken, lamb, turkey (preferably less beef)
- Canned fish eg mackerel, sardines, tuna, salmon
- Chopped veges (except those listed below under “Foods to Avoid”)
- Raw free range eggs – 1 egg three times a week
- Chicken and turkey necks
What about Water?
There should be at least 2 separate “wide” bowls of fresh water available every day.
Water bowls can collect dirt, bugs, mould and bacteria which is harmful to your dog.
What Foods Should I Avoid?
- Chocolate & sugar = greater risk of cancer in dogs.
- Grains eg wheat, bread, pasta (major causes of skin eruptions)
- Canned, processed dog food, treats and dry biscuits
- Rolled dog meat (up to 60% grains).
- Yeast eg breads/biscuits/cake
- Dairy (anything from a cow)
- Broccoli, turnips, onions, corn, cabbage, potatoes, spinach, cucumbers (hard to digest)
- Cooked bones (splinter through the intestinal wall)
- No microwaved foods
- Food wrapped in aluminium foil.
Why Shouldn’t I Feed my Dog Canned or Processed Foods?
Because the meat they use here would shock you! They use the following:
- Pet animals from clinics and shelters that have been euthanized (killed!)
- Road kill animals, zoo animals
- Diseased or disabled animals
- Hair, feathers, beaks and hooves of other animals (including horses & birds)
- Carcasses that contain high levels of drugs and pesticides
- Also, full of yeasts, grains and carbohydrates that contribute to obese dogs.
Are you turned off yet? This material is then cooked and as the grease rises to the top, it is removed, along with the liquid. This leaves only the meat and bone meal.
In other words, this type of food is lacking the necessary “live” nutrients essential to good health & skin.
- Flaxseed oil
- Fish oils
- Spirulina powder
- Kelp powder
- Vitamin C powder
Avoid pharmaceutical drugs. Dogs with skin problems or allergies generally don’t respond well to drugs such as antihistamines, cortisone, antibiotics or anti-inflammatories.
They loose interest in their food, mope around and feel nausea. These are only a temporary fix, they don’t address the cause of the allergies or skin problem.
TIP: Also, vaccinations (which are NOT compulsory) may cause and also lead to immune problems as well as skin rashes and allergies.