Here are two of my favourite foods for healthy skin – artichokes and ceci (Italian for chickpeas), working in harmony to provide nutrition for the skin.
Artichokes are incredibly good for restoring the liver and ceci are a great source of fibre plus a nutritional powerhouse.
With the addition of spinach leaves and rocket, this salad is a great detoxifier and will also give you a ‘Popeye the Sailor’ energy boost!
All in all, a healthy salad that can be part of your skin cleansing diet.
Ingredients (Serves 2-4)
- Ceci (chickpeas) – Drained and washed well – 400g
- Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Honey – 1 dessertspoon
- Lemon juice
- Smoked paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Jerusalem artichokes – 200g (can be from a jar)
- Marinated Artichoke hearts – 8 (usually come in glass jars quartered)
- Rocket – 2 handfuls
- Spinach leaves – 1 handfulVinaigrette Dressing
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 30 mls
- Lemon juice – 30 mls
- Dijon mustard – ½ tablespoon
* Blend the above ingredients together and keep in a jar in the fridge
- Drain and wash well one can of organic ceci (400g)
- Toss the ceci in a small amount of olive oil, honey, lemon, paprika, cumin and sea salt, then roast in the oven on a flat tray for around 10 – 15 minutes at 200 degrees or until slightly crispy.
- Add the rocket, spinach leaves and artichokes to a salad bowl
- Add the ceci when ready
- Pour over the vinaigrette to taste
This salad is quick, nutritious and a great tonic for the skin.