Ageing gracefully starts with a healthy mindset and perseverance. Over the years I have set myself certain rules in order to achieve healthy aging and an active future.
Probably you’ve read a lot of theories of ageing, some of them might be true and some of them are just pure marketing.
Here are some tips to help you relax into reversing the clock.
- Set small, achievable health-promoting goals.
- Prepare what you need. For example, have your running shoes or yoga mat ready; leave your prescription and supplements on the bench; allocate yourself time for you.
- Visualise achieving your goals, mentally repeating the process in your mind. You can do this!
- Then…just do it! Remember, new goals take time to become habits; so if you are concerned you might slip, don’t stress – just start again the next day. Practice makes perfect!
The Secret to Healthy Aging
When it comes to healthy aging, antioxidants are your body’s secret weapon to preventing disease and keeping you healthier.
The following may be considered the Rolls Royce of healthy ageing nutrients found in anti ageing foods:
- Resveratrol: Found in red grapes, blueberries and the herb polygonum, this effective antioxidant helps with longevity by protecting your cells from free radical damage.
- Curcumin: The main constituent of turmeric has been used traditionally for skin and wound healing; and may also aid in chronic disease prevention due to its valuable antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Quercetin: This potent bioflavonoid may help support the integrity of blood vessels and help keep your cardiovascular system healthier.
Simple Solutions – Long-term goals can be achieved with simple steps.
Help yourself to age gracefully by following these five simple dietary tips: (Anti ageing foods)
- Enjoy three serves of fresh fruits and at least three cups of colourful vegetables daily – to give you the nutrients that will promote a healthy body.
- Include protein-rich foods with every meal and snack – to aid tissue repair and help stabilise your energy levels.
- Include healthy oils, nuts and seeds in your diet – to support healthy memory and glowing skin (make sure you have no sensitivities to these).
- Drink a minimum of eight glasses of water daily and avoid excessive alcohol, as hydration is essential for healthy skin as well as optimal brain function. I prefer a minimum of alcohol!
- Enjoy a ‘freedom meal’ once a week. Allowing for an occasional treat helps create a balanced lifestyle.
Tips to help you achieve lasting results when optimising your food choices:
Plan – Use a shopping list and organise your fresh food choices on what you will use that week. Utilising the fresh produce in your fridge ensures it is nutrient-rich (as longer food storage reduces nutrients), minimises waste, and therefore saves you money!
Purchase – Shop at your local farmers markets where possible for the freshest options and organic preferably, so you are not ingesting age-producing sprays and chemicals.
Prepare – Use weekends to cook extra batches of food to eat during the week or freeze. This saves you time and ensures you have healthy options easily available.
The Skin Program is also an anti-aging program that winds the clock backwards in relation to your cellular age.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live” – Jim Rohn “The Evolution of Wellness”
My Favourite Healthy Aging Supplement
- Healthy Aging: As antioxidants, Polygonum cuspidatum and quercetin may support a healthy cardiovascular system, healthy immune function and normal blood sugar levels as a part of healthy ageing in healthy people.
- Resveratrol has been shown in an animal study, to activate sirtuins which may assist in healthy ageing by leading to an overall increased defence status and enhanced neuronal cell survival.
- Quercetin is a potent inhibitor of sulphotransferase activity, inhibiting resveratrol sulphation in the liver and duodenum.The inhibition of resveratrol sulphation may increase its bioavailability.
- A randomised, placebo controlled trial investigated the effect of Polygonum cuspidatum extract containing resveratrol on oxidative stress. Resveratrol induced a significant reduction in reactive oxygen species generation, via antioxidant effects. By reducing reactive oxygen species, Polygonum cuspidatum may help protect cellular DNA against free radical damage.
1 tablet per day will protect the cells
Read More: Artichokes and chickpeas Salad